Is Cow’s Milk Harming Our Health?
With awareness increasing about the truth behind animal cruelty and the food industry, it seems that we are becoming more knowledgeable about food practices as time progresses. In recent months, several reports have come to light containing reasons why people should not be drinking cow’s milk. One of the main reasons for this is that it has been claimed that cow’s milk can not be as well absorbed into the human body as plant-based milk.
Below are some other reasons not to drinks cow’s milk so that you can make your own, well-informed decision on what you put into your body in the future.
- Bones – according to a Swedish medical study, females who consumed reasonably large quantities of dairy milk each day were more likely to sustain fractures, when compared with females who drank very little amounts of milk.
- Becoming lactose intolerant – lactose is a sugar found in cow’s milk that can be very difficult to digest, according to PETA. They stated that this body struggle to digest can lead to various harmful symptoms such as nausea, cramps, gas, bloating, and even diarrhea.
- High cholesterol – PETA also stated in their report that just one serving of cow’s milk can sometimes contain up to 24 mg of cholesterol, which is in huge comparison to vegan food which doesn’t contain any cholesterol at all.
- Antibiotics – like many items in the food industry, a large number of cows are given antibiotics which can lead to the creation of bacteria that is resistant to any antibiotics, which some reports have stated could then led to a decrease in the effectiveness of antibiotics that humans take when they are ill.
- Saturated fat – PETA has further stated that just one single serving of whole milk “can contain more than 20 percent of the recommended daily allowance (RDA) of saturated fat, but even 1 percent milk has 8 percent of the RDA”. This would mean that consuming three servings of whole milk in one day equals to 60 percent of the recommended intake for an entire day.
I am Jess Murray, wildlife conservationist, photographer, and writer. I like to document the natural world and create awareness through my writing so that your future can be sustainable and positive. Follow my Facebook page and Instagram account to be part of the journey.
IMAGE CREDIT:Eraxion / 123RF Stock Photo