If you’re looking for a tasty (and healthy) breakfast or snack option, look no further. These gluten-free and vegan oats consist of oats, coconut oil, low-glycemic coconut sugar, fresh strawberries, and a handful of other fresh ingredients.
Because the scones are made with whole, unprocessed ingredients, they satiate cravings for unhealthy foods, as well as provide stable energy throughout the day. Oats are high in antioxidants, fiber, and a plethora of nutrients. Furthermore, they have been proven to lower cholesterol levels, improve blood sugar stability, and even help you lose weight.
This recipe, shared by Bloom for Life, is finished with a delightful coconut glaze. If the treat sounds daunting to make, don’t worry. It takes just 15 minutes to whip up the scones and another five minutes to make the glaze.
Strawberry-Oat Scones w/ Coconut Butter Glaze [GF, Vegan]
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Serving Size: 6 scones
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/3 cup coconut butter (you can sub coconut oil)
- 2/3 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup frozen or fresh strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a high-speed blender, grind the oats into a fine flour. Transfer to a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add the coconut sugar, baking powder, vanilla, sea salt, and lemon juice. Mix briefly to combine.
- Soften the coconut butter or oil by microwaving for 15-20 seconds. Add the coconut butter or oil to the mixture and combine with a spatula or your hands. Add half of the non-dairy milk (I used homemade almond milk), then mix. Add the rest of the milk slowly until your dough is slightly sticky. Without overworking the dough, knead it with your fingertips until just combined.
- If your berries are frozen, pulse them in a blender so they become smaller. If you are using fresh berries, slice them. Add the berries to the dough and mix.
- Shape the dough into a circle approximately 1 inch high and about 8 inches in diameter. Cut into 6 triangles, then transfer to a baking pan with parchment paper. Bake for 13-15 minutes at 425 degrees F or until golden brown on the edges. Top with the coconut glaze (below) and enjoy!
If you’d like more healthy plant-based recipes and inspiration to help you adopt a healthy lifestyle, visit BloomforLife.org. If you sign up for the monthly newsletter, you will receive the “Getting Started Guide” which includes everything you need to know to start eating healthier and living happier.