Human Brain Has Odd Structural Similarities With The Universe

Brain Universe

Italian researchers Franco Vazza and Alberto Feletti have recently published a paper in Frontiers in Physics that details how the neural networks found in the human brain are oddly similar to the structures of the observable universe.

Vazza is an astrophysicist at the University of Bologna while Feletti is a neurosurgeon from the University of Verona. Even with a difference of 27 orders of magnitude, the composition of the cosmos and the human brain have similar levels of self-organization and complexity. Our brains have around 69 billion neurons that form a vast network. The observable universe has at least a hundred billion galaxies forming a web. The researchers explained how neurons account for around 30% of the total mass of the brain while galaxies contribute the same amount for the mass of the universe. Both neurons and galaxies appear to be arranged like beads on long filaments or strings. The rest of the 70% of the universe is dark energy and its equivalent in the human brain is water.

Human Brain And Galaxies Unite

In a statement regarding their findings, Vazza explained how they had calculated the spectral density of the galaxy systems and the human brain. This method of calculating spectral density is used in cosmology to find the spatial distribution of galaxies.

Hey, are you enjoying our content? Want to see also some thought-provoking videos from Truth Theory? We are on YouTube, make sure you subscribe to our YouTube channel, click HERE

“Our analysis showed that the distribution of the fluctuation within the cerebellum neuronal network on a scale from 1 micrometer to 0.1 millimeters follows the same progression of the distribution of matter in the cosmic web,” he added, “but, of course, on a larger scale that goes from 5 million to 500 million light-years.”


Another astonishing point is that the way these neurons cluster and the number of connections that arise from each node are quite similar to those of the galaxies.

Feletti thinks the connectivity within the human brain and the universe have evolved on similar principles. The two systems might be running on different physical powers, but the similarities are undeniable.

Vazza, Feletti, and the entire team are hoping to find new techniques to analyze both the systems. Their preliminary study could prove vital in further research.

By Mayukh Saha / Truth Theory

Image Featured: Natalia Romanova

Leave Comment: