Brave Homeless Man Breaks Through Deadlocked Door To Save Kids From Fire
By Amanda Froelich Truth Theory
Thanks to a compassionate and daring man, two children who might otherwise have burned to death are now safe and sound. It all started last Friday when Anival Angulo, who lives on the streets in Las Vegas, Nevada, heard children screaming.
As KSNV reports, he saw smoke coming from an apartment nearby and put two and two together. Immediately, Angulo knew he needed to help. So, he rushed to the apartment on Mesquite Avenue, and broke through a deadlocked security door. Once inside, he rescued a 10-month-old baby boy and a 3-year-old girl.
“Went to the door and saw the babies so I jumped the fence and I pulled on the screen door and I wrapped up the babies and pulled them out,” said Angulo. “I knew I had to get them out.” Angulo has since been hailed as a hero. However, he is too modest to accept the designation.
ONLY ON @News3LV: This homeless man ran into a burning apartment to save two small children. Although @LasVegasFD arrived on scene quickly, this man is the true hero! Hear my interview with him at 3,5 and 6. pic.twitter.com/NYrgTMtFQq
— Kelsey Thomas (@KelseyNews3LV) December 1, 2017
The fire reportedly started around 11:30 AM in the kitchen. The grandfather was watching the kids and, as a result, forgot about the food on the stove. While he was in the bedroom, a fire began to blaze. Fortunately, the Las Vegas Fire and Rescue was able to extinguish the frie by about 11:48 AM.
Said Tim Szymanksi with LVFR: “The children were in the living room. Food was cooking on the stove. The grandfather was watching the children. He was in a back bedroom. The kids say the stove caught on fire, it got bigger and they started yelling. The granddad couldn’t get to them because of the fire.”
UPDATE: TOC: 11:33AM. Fire in 1 unit of 1-sto 4-plex – OUT, 2 toddlers taken to UMC-Peds for smoke inhalation- non life threatening, crews checkN for hotspots, cause U/I PIO1 pic.twitter.com/HKX0ik3I9E
— Las Vegas FireRescue (@LasVegasFD) December 1, 2017
The children were treated for smoke inhalation but are reported to be okay. Unfortunately, the family is now homeless… just in time for the holidays. On a positive note, at least everyone survived, and it’s all thanks to Angulo. “It’s obvious if this person hadn’t been there, these children could’ve been burned or may have been killed in the fire,” said Szymanski.
The good Samaritan was at the right place at the right time. However, had he not taken action, this story wouldn’t have a happy ending. Please share his story to inspire others and comment your thoughts below.
Read more: Doctor Speeds Down Burning Highway On Motorcycle At 2 A.M. To Save 8 Preemies In NICU