The world is rapidly changing, and that which seemed like mysticism just a few short decades ago is now becoming reality. Speaking to someone face to face while they are on the other side of the planet may seem normal now through our “smart devices”, but if you had presented this the not so distant past, people would have revered you as a magician with mystical powers.
An estimated 84% of people identify themselves as religious, and most religion speaks about miracles, magic, and mysticism (with the biggest perhaps being the conception of our universe from nothing). Yet these topics are often laughed and scorned at by the masses that follow these same religious doctrines.
Luckily enough the seeker with a dedicated heart can not only seek out material on these subjects but practically apply the techniques and see for themselves if there is any truth behind the teachings.
I have compiled a shortlist of some of the most powerful books for spiritual awakening, mysticism, and magic.
The Kybalion is an introduction to the framework of the Hermetic teachings. It is based upon the teachings of Hermes Trismegistus, earlier known as Tehuti or Thoth. It outlines the 7 Hermetic principles, which are laws of nature that once mastered can give a better understanding of our internal and external world.
Although it is a short read at just over 100 pages, it is very cryptic and leaves a lot to ponder and philosophize over. As taken from the 4th principle The Principle of Polarity. “Everything is Dual; everything has poles; everything has its pair of opposites; like and unlike are the same; opposites are identical in nature, but different in degree; extremes meet; all truths are but half-truths; all paradoxes may be reconciled.”–The Kybalion.
Purchase it here: The Kybalion
Giordano Bruno and The Hermetic Teaching is an in-depth insight into the historical teachings of Hermeticism. It also contains some practical application of magic and many resources for further study into mysticism and the occult teachings.
Written by Frances A. Yates, the book follows the story of prolific philosophers and magicians of the renaissance period, with the bulk of the book being dedicated to Giordano Bruno, who was famously burned at the stake for heresy.
Purchase it here: Giordano Bruno and The Hermetic Teaching
The Emerald Tablet
The Emerald Tablet is an ancient Hermetic tablet said to be written by Hermes Trismegistus also known as Thoth or Tehuti. The book is comprised simply of a short cryptic text that has been translated by many famous occultists such as Sir Issac Newton and Madame Blavatsky.
Sir Issac Newton translates as follows:
- It is true without error, certain & most true.
- That which is below is like that which is above & that which is above is like that which is below to do the miracles of one only thing.
- And as all things have been & arose from one by the mediation of one: so all things have their birth from this one thing by adaptation.
- The Sun is its father, the moon its mother, the wind hath carried it in its belly, the earth is its nurse.
- The father of all perfection in the whole world is here.
- Its force or power is entire if it be converted into earth.
- Separate thou the earth from the fire, the subtle from the gross sweetly with great industry.
- It ascends from the earth to the heaven & again it descends to the earth & receives the force of things superior & inferior.
- By this means you shall have the glory of the whole world & thereby all obscurity shall fly from you.
- Its force is above all force. For it vanquishes every subtle thing & penetrates every solid thing.
- So was the world created.
- From this are & do come admirable adaptations whereof the means (or process) is here in this.
- Hence I am called Hermes Trismegist, having the three parts of the philosophy of the whole world.
- That which I have said of the operation of the Sun is accomplished & ended.
Its meaning is debated, and can be pondered over without any definite conclusion.
9 Faces Of Christ follows the life and initiation of Jeshua, the being many to believe to be Jesus Christ. The story follows a young Jeshua as he is prepared for a life of service through a series of initiatory processes. This includes him being the youngest member of a Jewish group of mystics called the Essenes.
The story follows the miracles of someone connected to God, while also highlighting the human element to the trials and tribulations of growing up with the expectation of liberating the masses from bondage.
Purchase it here: 9 Faces Of Christ
When it comes to the practical application of words of power, the 72 Sigils Of Power is a way in which anyone can quickly and efficiently test the power of Mantras. The book is compiled of 72 Hebrew symbol combinations, with each Sigil containing 3 symbols. The Mantras are split into 2 pronunciations, one which is to be chanted and read for contemplation, while the other is for the purpose of magic.
The 72 Sigils are split into categories, such as “Manifestation and Strength”, “Unconditional Love” and “The Flow of Love”. The theory behind it is if you chant the Sigils with the right pronunciation while looking at the symbols, with the right mindset- they will produce the desired results.
Purchase it here: The 72 Sigils Of Power
There is a saying that Knowledge is Power, and it could be argued that with this knowledge would come to the application of that which has been learned- or wisdom. Life is for the most part subjective, with beliefs varying hugely across the world. With this in mind, there is no better way to validate that which we believe than to experientially live it. I hope that these books can work as a recommendation that can lead to an experiential connection to spiritual awakening, mysticism, and magic