Christmas is nearly here! Before the spring arrives, enjoy these delectable (vegan) pumpkin spice scones with toasted pecans and a maple glaze. The treat pairs perfectly with a mug of hot cocoa and snuggles from a loved one.
All of the ingredients in this recipe or whole and unprocessed — meaning you can feel good about indulging in a scone (or two). You can make them even healthier by opting for a gluten-free flour (the notes recommend this).
While canned pumpkin is most accessible, fresh pumpkin is preferred. Either way, the squash is very nutritious, as it is rich in fiber and vitamins A and C. Coconut oil and spices such as cinnamon are good for digestion, meaning these scones aren’t just tasty — they’re medicinal!
The recipe, courtesy of Bloom for Life, follows:
Pumpkin-Spice Scones w/ Toasted Pecans & Maple Glaze [Vegan]
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Serving Size: 8 scones
1 cup raw pecans
2 cups all-purpose whole wheat flour (or gluten-free version)
1 tablespoon baking powder
¼ cup brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ginger
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon cloves or allspice
½ teaspoon salt
⅓ cup soft coconut oil
¾ cup pumpkin puree
¼ cup milk of choice (I recommend almond, cashew, hemp, or coconut)
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar (for a thick glaze, use less powdered sugar if thinner consistency is desired)
⅛ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
1 tablespoon melted coconut oil or butter
½ teaspoon vanilla
¼ cup high-quality maple syrup, more if needed
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the nuts in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper (optional). Toast the nuts in the oven until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Chop the nuts into very fine pieces.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, ¾ths of the chopped nuts, baking powder, sugar, spices, and salt in a bowl and whisk together.
- Use a pastry cutter to cut the coconut oil or butter into the dry ingredients. If you don’t have a pastry cutter, use a fork to cut the coconut oil into the flour, or use a knife to cut the butter into tiny pieces and mix it into the flour.
- Stir in pumpkin puree, milk and vanilla extract. At first, it will seem like there isn’t enough liquid to wet the dough, but keep mixing until you have thoroughly incorporated the wet and dry ingredients. If you must, use your hands to knead the last of the flour into the dough.
- Form dough into a circle that’s about an inch deep all around. Use a chef’s knife to cut the circle into 8 even slices.
- Separate slices and place on the baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- While the scones are baking, whisk together the glaze ingredients in a small bowl until smooth and creamy. Drizzle the glaze generously over the scones. While the glaze is wet, sprinkle it with the remaining chopped nuts. Enjoy!
What are your thoughts? Please comment below and share this news!